Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Beef Hash

And no, I am NOT talking about corned beef hash. Oh my. No!

So, what happens when you cook a roast and veggies in the crock pot? Well, in our family the veggies all get eaten, but we always have roast left over. And, somehow reheating beef roast just doesn't seem right. So, I turn to an old family recipe, first taught to me by my mother. And, I love it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Just be sure to have ketchup on hand!

And, again, sorry... no photos. Some day I'll actually take photos step by step so this makes sense. In the meantime, should you have questions just email me.


  1. take out leftover roast, put it, bit by bit, in the Osterizer blender OR a food processor and chop. The meat should look shredded. 
  2. Next, take out some potatoes... how many? Depends on how much meat is left. One pound or less and I usually use 4 potatoes. Dice them into a smallish dice. All even. 
  3. Now, take onion.. same idea. 
  4. bring several tablespoons of olive oil to high heat (Pam doesn't work well for this). Add in the potato and onion. Stir for a few minutes, then lower heat, and cover. Cook for 5 minutes. 
  5. Remove lid, stir and remove any stuck veggies from the bottom of the pan. Turn up the heat just a tad, and for the next 3-7 minutes, stir and start to brown the veggies. 
  6. Add in the meat. The purpose here is NOT to cook the meat, it is ALREADY cooked, but rather we want to brown the bits a bit. Add a bit of a caramelized taste. 
When it's all heated, veggies nicely browned and meat is good take off the heat. Serve with ketchup. And, you're correct, I've added no seasonings because the roast was already seasoned. You can add salt and pepper to taste at the table. But, 

Don't forget to pass the ketchup. 

And the beauty of this? Gluten free and it uses leftovers!
Happy Eating, 
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment