Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Philly Slices and GF Baguettes

So, while waiting at the Marsh deli line for GLUTEN FREE DELI... can I hear an "OH YEAH BABY!" (They even sliced it on the cheese slicer to keep it free from cross contamination... Marsh on Kinser Pike)... I saw this little display with recipe cards. Took two.


One was Italian Sausage and Spinach Rotini... family loved it! The other was Philly Slices... basically you take puff pastry, roll it out.. fill it with sauteed onion, pepper and garlic, sliced/shredded beef and shredded provolone. The vote was 2 for it and 1 "okay". We'll see... with my inability to handle wheat products I donned gloves to make this... that was interesting. And filling hit the floor, I'll be honest. And really... rolling puff pastry in rubber gloves? It's very interesting. The second roll I asked WeeOne and Mealsie (friend of MMH) to help roll it. Well.... that one sort of popped or leaked... anyway, the girls ate the cheese off the counter. So, not sure how frequently that will make it to the rotation.


In other tried attempts I made my first gluten free baguettes. Now, mind you, I had to make it sans corn, so I'm not sure how it was meant to taste, but my vote is "not bad." I piled on some chicken salad and enjoyed it for dinner this evening. The recipe I used came from Nicole and is found on this web site. For the flours I used a high protein mix of garbanzo bean, potato flour and white rice flour. Because I'm trying recipes for our church's communion I needed to make this very cost effective. Once I added up the costs, figured out cups of flour per pound (4.5 in case you ever need to know), tablespoons per 8 oz. (21-25 roughly), and then added up costs I came to a whopping $2.50 per loaf... without adding in electricity, power, salt, yeast, and vinegar... At the store a similar loaf would cost $4.00, so it's a savings. We'll see what the consensus is. The crumb is great, the taste is fairly good... I now recognize that extra tang in GF breads/rolls... frequently vinegar is used as an acid which is needed to help things rise since there is really no gluten present.


photo found on Living Without

A fairly successful day. I did, however, forget to take a photo... another vote for an IPhone.. ease of use and uploads...so, you'll have to trust me that this was an interesting looking bread. (Their professional photo of their final product is much prettier than my loaf!) But, taste my friends... probably between a 7 and an 8.

Happy Cooking!
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment