Saturday, January 7, 2012

Welcome to the blog!

I know I know. Another. Blog. Again. I'm nuts!

Well, I may be nuts, but I was thinking about all the cooking I have to do. About eating gluten free. About cooking for gluten-eaters and non-gluten-eaters. About the ways I like to mess with recipes and make them my own. About how sometimes I just don't want to blog about something deep, about homeschooling, about my thoughts, or my art, or childbirth. So, I figured I needed a new blog. A new look. A new start. After all, it's a new year.

SO, on this blog you'll join me in my adventures of cooking. You'll learn about our food allergies, gluten intolerance, how to change up ingredients, my favorite places to shop, find recipes and eat out. If you like food I think you'll like my blog. I'll also try to post weekly menus here, with the occasional photo as I think of it.

And, to that end, here's this week's menu, in no particular order.


  • Spinach Sausage Casserole (or Breakfast bowl for the gluten intolerant)
  • Philly Cheese Slices
  • Potato Rosemary Soup (gluten free)
  • Creamed Tuna on potato chips (quit shuddering, it's a comfort food, gluten free and fun every now and again)
  • Left-overs (yes, I plan for leftovers, helps the fridge stay clean!)
  • Pancakes and sausage (Dear is loving pancakes currently and who doesn't like breakfast for dinner sometimes?)
  • Homemade pizza (Gluten free and non)


There you have it. Now, if I get my hiney in gear I'll put up a recipe page as well so you can find recipes with ease. I have photos tonight because the blog is new and the idea was in my head. Not sure how frequently this will happen, but I love photos so I know what the food is "supposed to" look like.

The spinach sausage casserole was a HUGE hit. Simple ingredients: sweet Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese, rotini pasta, Parmesan cheese, onions, green onions, garlic, sour cream, spinach. That's it.
fresh out of the oven

ready to eat with a nice cold glass of milk


Breakfast bowl also fairly easy: thinly slice potatoes, olive oil, diced onions, browned crumbled gluten free sausage, eggs, cheese of your choice.
allowing the eggs to cook through in the fry pan...

tastes great with a nice glass of grapefruit juice

Doesn't this just say "yummy" and "comfort"?!

I also, very carefully, whipped up some granola for Aaron's return to Texas. It's found in the "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" cookbook by La Leche League. I have an OLD version, but I'm betting it may be found in the new as well.


  • 5 c. oats
  • 6 c. of a variety of things. I use 3c. whole wheat flour, 2c. powdered milk and  1c. quinoa.(because it's what I had on hand)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. almond flavoring
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 c. canola oil
  • 1 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. water



during the baking
Preheat the oven to 250. Put the oil and honey into a large roasting pan. Put in the oven and let warm as the oven warms up. Meanwhile start measuring. When oven is preheated take out pan, add in ingredients and stir. Bake in slow oven for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes. When cool, stir in raisins or chocolate chips. Our family ALWAYS chooses chocolate chips. YUM!
after it's all crisped up... note the yummy nuggets



 Happy Eating!
Shalom,
Kim




2 comments:

  1. Bob and I are trying chicken enchiladas tomorrow. I think they will be gluten free with the corn tortillas. I'm looking forwards to it. :) I might have to try that casserole, it looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried the corn enchiladas. I actually prefer to make my own GF tortillas, will see if I can post the recipe at a later time. The taste and texture were much preferred to the heaviness and graininess of the corn variety.

    ReplyDelete